Many faculty and instructors already evaluate students’ learning using direct measures (scores, ratings, grades, etc.); however, linking student work directly to learning outcomes, and tracking, analyzing and using the data can be complex and time-consuming.
To make the process easier and more efficient, instructors can now digitally capture and track direct evidence of student learning data, in real time, over time (within and across courses and programs), through Canvas, the campus learning management system, and HelioCampus Assessment and Credentialing (formerly AEFIS), the campus assessment management system. See how-to videos and resources below.
By intentionally linking direct evidence of student knowledge or skills – e.g., assignments, quizzes, exams, etc. – to course and/or program learning outcomes, instructors are able to obtain clear, compelling and actionable information about how well students are doing. This helps faculty and instructors answer some of the most common – and critical – questions about their students’ learning:
- Are my students learning what I expect?
- What concepts need further explanation or delineation
- Are the course activities aligned with the learning outcomes
- Overall, how will I know that learning has taken place
DESL in Canvas and HelioCampus AC
Instructors can use Canvas and HelioCampus AC to digitally capture and track direct evidence of student learning data in their courses. For an overview of how to get started, view the following videos and resources.
To learn more and get support, reach out to Mary Thompson, senior assessment coordinator.
How-To Videos and Resources
- Learn how to link course assignments, quiz and exam scores, rubric scores, etc. in Canvas to course learning outcomes in HelioCampus AC.
- Learn how individual students’ learning data is then captured in real-time and displayed in a digital dashboard.
- DESL Overview KnowledgeBase Document
- Frequently Asked Questions